Some surgical operations or injuries can leave unsightly scars. These scars can be discoloured and made of tough, rubbery, inflexible material that may feel sensitive to the touch years after the surgery is completed.
Acupuncture can reduce the appearance of the scar. Acupuncture promotes the local production of cortisol, a natural hormone that acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps to break down scar tissue. Clients may notice the colour of the scar change from a purplish dark red to their natural skin colour. The quality of the scar tissue changes from tough and rubbery to soft and supple. By the end of the series of treatments, the scar will be considerably less noticeable.
The person may also find themselves in chronic pain for many years after the surgery due to the scar tissue and adhesions that built up on the tissues, muscles and ligaments below the skin surface. These scar tissues and adhesions can grab and pull at other muscles creating pain with movement.
Acupuncture can help reduce chronic pain that may result from surgery by helping to break down the scar tissue that was formed on the muscles and ligaments as the body was trying to “knit” itself back together after the surgery. Combining acupuncture with fascial work like Active Release Technique or Myofascial Release Technique can greatly increase the effectiveness of the treatment.
Acupuncture has several advantages for the treatment of scars:
- Acupuncture is relatively pain free. The client may feel a slight prick as the needle is inserted, but after that, the client will feel nothing for the rest of the treatment. It is a more comfortable experience than laser therapy.
- Acupuncture is the safest form of scar removal. It is much safer than surgery with none of the possible side effects.
- Acupuncture is comletely natural. It works by promoting the body’s natural healing powers.
- Acupuncture is convenient. After a half hour acupuncture session, there are no bandages or creams. You don’t need to avoid sunlight or certain activities. There is no wound or stitches. You can shower with freedom.
- The experience can be far more comfortable than further surgery or laser.