Here is a video that shows some really simple stretches for the neck. For those of you suffering from neck pain, these stretches are a good starting point as they are gentle and non-aggressive. The stretches can be performed in the seated or standing position and are a great way to break up the tension that is building up during your work day.
Guidelines for performing the stretches:
- Check with a health care professional before you attempt these exercises to ensure that it is safe for you.
- Do the exercises slowly
- Try to breathe slowly and keep your body relaxed. Do not tense up or hold your breath as this will invite muscle spasm.
- You should feel a gentle stretching sensation, but you should not feel any pain during the exercises. If you do feel pain, decrease the range of movement by stopping before you get to the point of pain. Continue the exercise within the pain free range.
- The vertebrae and muscles in the neck are very fragile and can be aggravated very easily. Don’t try to overdo it. You will get better results by stretching gently, but more frequently. On the other hand, overdoing it can leave you with a really nasty neck cramp.
- If you cannot find a comfortable, pain free way to do these exercises, discontinue immediately and seek the advice of a health care professional.
- Do the exercises a minimum of 3 times a day for best results.